Monday, January 18, 2010

Lessons I'm learning

In my monday night bible study we are studying the book of John. this week we are in ch.11 where Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. The substitute teaching leader had some great points in her lecture that I was convicted and challenged by so I thought I would share. The things in "quatation marks" are her words and questions, everything else are my random thoughts.

"Illnesses, delays, and disapointments can be opportunities to glorify God."
If you read ch11 you will see that Jesus hears that Lazarus whom he loves is sick. Now if you love someone and you hear that they are sick your reaction is probably going to be to check in on them, go visit, call, and if you are a doctor you would go see them, Jesus who could have healed him without going to him remains where he is two days. It wasn't like he got the news late and he would leave in the morning, he waited 2 days. Why, because he loved them. Jesus had a plan and he knew that the illness was not unto death but was for the glory of God (v. ) How often do we see a situation and we ask for God to come and when we dont see immediate response we cry out where is God, or he must not care, or why me? why now?? God making us wait can show just how much he loves us more than an immediate response that gives us what we think we want. In the waiting God may be creating an opportunity for himself to be glorified. Every trial is a test of our faith. Jesus did not answer Mary and Martha request b/c he wanted to give them so much more.

Other points:
"What has Jesus accomplished in your life this year? If you take the time to look for God you will find him and he will lift you up." are you looking for God? or just going through the motions
"The "what ifs" of life will keep you in despair." Mary n Martha Im sure asked what if Jesus had been here, what if we sent the messenger earlier.... but that doesn't change anything, the only thing that changed the situation was to go to Jesus. and Jesus gave Martha hope, real hope Rom 5:5 "God's hope is a promise that is certian" where are you turning in your trials? are you looking for Jesus or are you looking for answers (the ones you want)?
'
There is so much in this chapter, but it made me see just how real Jesus was. He loved his friends then and he loves me. His tender words to Mary and Martha he offers to me. "I am the resurection and the life whoever believes in me though he die, yet shall he live and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never di. Do you believe this?"(Jn. 11:25-26)

Many have read this passage before, but I was challenged to really think do I believe this or do I just know it. Am I putting my belief into practice or am I relying on me? God will answer in his time and for His glory, but we need to be looking and expecting that he will.

2 comments:

aj said...

Thanks for the food. True we are often feeling doubt and despair when God delays his answer.. He is God after all his answer whether now or later-- deserves our praise as we have prayed. We are alive in him. Live to glorify him in the resurrection of our King

1danblu said...

I read in a book once that Jesus is never late. The author, a hospital volunteer, was trying, awkwardly to comfort a woman who had just lost her husband. A nurse entered, embraced the woman and asked,"Did Jesus come yet?" Her point was that when the man died it wasn't because He didn't care. Jesus wasn't too late to save him. He had a reason and a plan. But, she could count on Him to come on time for her needs. That blessed me. Jesus does care. He is never late.