Monday, March 8, 2010

what is a teacher

Today at work as situation after situation arose I asked myself is this really what a teacher does? When I think of a teacher I think of a person that leads instruction in some academic area like math or English or history. However in the last few weeks I have found myself wearing these hats: social worker- trying to find housing for a family, lawyer-dealing with laws and policy, police-trying to figure out how to get a restraining order for a parent, counselor-helping a student (not mine) get the papers needed to get to college, doctor, mother (cleaning snotty faces- so gross!) encourager-"ms.c why so gloomy, i need your smile it makes me feel goooood"(this comment turned my day around), coach, friend, referee, chef-making meals b/c they were hungry, mentor teacher, venting wall, and well a teacher. My job is not ordinary, I know, but somedays I really would like to just teach, but then who would do all the other stuff? I am glad that God has placed me where I am at, and I know he will give me all I need to do the job, but I wonder sometimes what in the world am I doing? I didn't go to school for this. So if you think about a teacher you know or had, pray for them they deal with more than the kids in the class:)

3 comments:

leililan said...

"teacher" is just a profession. you're a great PERSON, through and through!

The Paulsens said...

I know you are awesome at what you do!! Any updates on the future of your job/school? And don't forget about 2-1-1 - you can dial this to get free info on social services in your area :) My little plug!

aj said...

well miss amy i think that teachers are pretty amazing and you defintely teach more than you think.. you've taught all those who read this that your life is filled with great moments to share who you've become from your teachers...praying for you teachers!