Monday, October 13, 2008

I survived!

Sunday I competed in my first triathalon. It was quite an adventure. Saturday I went down to hermosa pier to practice/play in the ocean. it was cold and due to the amount of wind, the surf was big and choppy. I am so glad that it was not that way sunday. The water temp dropped so I believe it was like 58 or less, so since I was one of a few that didn't have a wet suit it was FREEZING! but I made it. I think I was purple by the time I got out, but I made my way up the beach to the transition area where I quickly put on shorts, tanktop, long sleeve shirt, and cycling shoes. I grabbed a small amount of GU to give me a quick energy boost. and away I rode up pier ave onto the bike course. I was still numb from the swim which may have helped! You ride 3 laps then head back to the pier. But let me tell you about the bike ride, there were over 1000 participants and although you have a stagard start there were a lot of bikes still going when I was there. so if you are behind a slow bike you have to pass on the left and yell "on your left" as you pass, well the problem was that anytime I wanted to pass there were always a whole line of bikes passing as well so I couldn't pull into that passing shoulder. I am too polite I guess (I didn't want to get hit or cause an accident really) I was trying to watch other bikers when they would shift and try to follow, but needless to say I need practice. The odd part is that your legs are tired when you start but by the middle I don't think I felt them. anyways next you ride down Pier Ave back to the transition area to put your bike up, take off the jacket, put socks on and running shoes. well the only problem was I had NO feeling in my feet. try putting socks on frozen sleeping damp feet fun times! I then had a sip of propell and headed out for the run however i forgot to get more GU and really needed it! but I ran with no feeling in my feet until close to the final mile. I kept looking at peoples leg where your age was written in marker trying to catch anyone older than me, or younger. I am not sure what my time was as I forgot to set my watch at the start, but what is important is that I finished and I felt alright throughout the race. Next time I will do things slightly different and train different, but as my mom huged me at the end with tears saying "you've come so far" it made me think that even though sometimes it feels like the accident was so long ago it really wasn't and for not being able to walk 18months ago to be able to complete this type of event makes me very grateful to know that God has done some amazing healing both physically and mentally as well as spiritually to enable me to compete. I have also been blessed to have great support from Trent my trainer and Phil the nutritionist who have given me structure and push my body in ways I would never do on my own, but I think it is good. So many people have come into my life some totally new and others just in a new deeper way and I am gratefull for them. So now training begins for the Turkey trot!! then who knows!! thanks for all your prayers! I am still defrosting but cant complain! I'll let you know my times when I get them. Oh you too can do this, Im not crazy as some think, you can be part of a relay! think about it it could be fun I am happy to train with you!!

3 comments:

leililan said...

fyu: you are as crazy as some of us think!! but we love you anyway!!! go amy!!

aj said...

wow that's sounded fun.. you are totally a tri-altlethe for life and yeah turkey trot training does start now.. i'm gonna actually try to log in more miles this year than the one time i raced before the race last year.

Grace B. said...

woot woot!!! I can't believe you did it and survived!!! I'm proud of you!