Wednesday, June 9, 2010

running is cheaper than therapy

running is cheaper than therapy was printed on a shirt I almost bought this past weekend at the San Diego marathon. (Yes this past weekend I once agian ran a marathon that I did not train for. at least this year I did get in a couple of six mile runs before hand, unlike the max of 3 the last year. I really am going to train for the next one I swear).
The t-shirt caught my eye, because running for me is a form of therapy if you will only I don't have a therapist to talk to and give me feed back, I only have my thoughts, and myself to answer back. However on my runs healing does occur. I had 26 miles to think on sunday about where I have been and where I am going. here is a brief list of what I remember as pain and overheating and other such things took priority at moments during the race.
1. I thought having a run/walk ministry would be cool- think of yellow tank tops with "Run Happy " the joy of the Lord is my strength written on the back:) most people don't do activity b/c they need accountability and someone to do it with- how about tues/thurs nights run walk the neighborhood train for a 5K, 10K 1/2 marathon or full marathon
2. I have a lot to be thankful for. I spent a few miles or so thinking of all the friends and family that think Im crazy to be running and for all of them Im thankful!
3. my problems are nothing for God. As i ran you see people with shirts for various causes mainly luekemia and other cancers, but I thought wow, God knows each person in this race FYI 30,000 people ran Sunday, He knows every step, shin splint, muscle cramp, and tear that was cried and knows every person that each of them knows think about it it is mind boggling. He desires that none of them perish. but they have to hear his word. why don't I open my mouth?
4. God heals. These past few weeks I have restled with emotions in a different way and the run put my thoughts back to 3 years ago at this time I was just learning to walk without a walker, now I have run 2 marathons, completed a triathalon, and 2 pier to pier swims- He heals physically, spiritually, emotionally, and he does it so he can be glorified.
5. running clears my head and puts my focus on what is important, and its not me. Its the millions of people who don't know Christ, its family who need to feel Christ's love through me, its about relationships with people who God puts in our lives, not about stuff.

SO... I am going to train for the Long Beach Marathon which is in October (after this week of recovery:)). Anyone who wants to join me and get a taste of free therapy is welcome to join me, you don't have to keep up just be willing to get out and move you can do the 5k or just come cheer me on at mile 17, 18, and 19 as these are the most difficult for me! Let me know we can work out a training sched. I will try to post what I am doing so you can keep me accountable to actually train this time.

Running feels good when you are finished although painful during the race, just like my walk with Christ, I want to finish well even though the miles between can be painful and uphill, there are miles like 23 that feel great while mile 17 had to be walked, Christ is with us every step no matter how slow or fast our pace, he provides vasaline to help with chaffing, shot blocks and gu to provide nurishment when needed, he provides a brother to encourage us not to quit when we feel like we cant go on, the road of life is a marathon and whether you are fit or not you are in the race but how much better I may feel if I put the training time in so pick up your Bibles and get in his word work out your spiritual muscles and build your faith:)

2 comments:

leililan said...

i need to run! maybe i go once a week?? don't know if i could survive two!

ps.. i'm proud of you, and think what you do is crazy, but great!

The Paulsens said...

WOW, good for you! You know I admire your running so much. Craig has "the bug" too :) I just started spin class a few weeks ago so that's my stress reliever right now. Love ya!